What Southern girl does not love cream cheese and pecans?
This recipe was shared with me by my Mother-In-Law several years ago and I fell in love!
Several of my friends have asked me for the recipe, so I thought I would share!
I hope you give it a try and enjoy it.
Quick Italian Cream Cake
- 1 (16.25-ounce) package white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 T Rum (optional)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (below)
- Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in coconut and pecans. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 15 to 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Sprinkle each cake layer evenly with rum, if desired; let stand 10 minutes.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Chill 2 hours before slicing.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and pecans. Frost cake when completely cooled.
This recipe originally appeared here in Southern Living.